To provide maximum control, an environment is first divided into smaller, clearly defined areas or zones. These zones become the focal points for the application of the various CPTED elements. “Defensible space” is the term used to describe an area that has been made a “zone of defense” by the design characteristics that create it.
~Logic behind Defensible Space :
Defensible space design attempts to strengthen two kinds of social behavior within a residential area:
~~Territoriality: Personal sense of ownership over an area.
A feeling of territoriality is encouraged by engineering that permits simple distinguishing proof of specific zones as the selective space of a specific individual or gathering. This inclination is improved when the region included is one the individual can identify with a feeling of pride and proprietorship. It isn’t sufficient for a man basically to have the capacity to guard his condition, he should likewise need to shield it. That “need” results from regional sentiments of pride and proprietorship.
~~Natural Surveillance: Placing potential crime targets in places where they can be watched easily.
The utilization of faultless space in conjunction with regular reconnaissance is a powerful wrongdoing counteractive action instrument. The foundation of progress zones gives both the tenant and the interloper clear and distinct perspectives. For the inhabitant, an interloper’s passage into limited space makes cause for consideration and conceivable alert. For the interloper, entering confined space spotlights his activities, hoists his nervousness level, and incredibly builds his danger of being found and caught.
~Design Goals of Defensible Space
~~Enhance Visibility: Improve perceivability between flat units/ homes by inhabitants.
Regions that are out of view can’t be controlled.
~~Increment Public Areas: Create spaces where inhabitants could assemble, in this way expanding the potential for occupant surveillability.
In the event that you unite occupants they will probably know each other and watch every others places.
~Local Space and Crime Prevention
1. Private supervision is the way to wrongdoing avoidance.
2. Things will probably be stolen in the event that they are left in open or semi-open space.
3. Move however much space as could be expected to the private end of the scale to expand security and counteract wrongdoing.
4. Individuals will take care of their own private and maybe semi-private space, though individuals in the city will give “characteristic observation” of semi-open territories.
5. In unadulterated open regions observation of any sort is troublesome what’s more, wrongdoing hazard is most noteworthy.
~Problems with Defensible Space
1. Does not manage hidden reasons for wrongdoing.
Criminal motivation is still high despite decreased crime targets.
2. Wrongdoing isn’t ceased just scattered.
Wrongdoing lessened in one place, increments in another.
3. Most arrangements are of compositional as opposed to police introduction.